Thursday, July 11, 2013

Dean Toriumi Reviews: Patient presented with a severe breathing problem and sinus issues

Testimonial #12

This patient presented with a severe breathing problem and sinus issues. She required a septal correction and sinus surgery. We also performed a rhinoplasty to narrow her nose and refine her nasal tip. The functional part of her surgery was of primary importance and required careful attention to her airway correction. The primary goal was to correct her nasal breathing but avoid making her nose wider.

Dr. Toriumi is in a class of his own when it comes to rhinoplasty. Several years ago, I had asked a good friend of mine for a referral to a rhinoplasty surgeon. She had spent the last 20 years working for a leading plastic surgeon in Chicago. Without hesitation, my friend suggested that I meet Dr. Dean Toriumi. I scheduled a consultation with Dr. Toriumi to discuss what I hoped to accomplish with rhinoplasty surgery. I explained to Dr. Toriumi that I had always been unhappy with the width of my nose. While it wasn’t excessively large, it was very wide, and flat at the bridge. I had also had chronic breathing problems. I could rarely breathe through my nose, and my voice always sounded nasally. Because Dr. Toriumi is an ENT, he was able to make my nose functional while also correcting the external appearance. Through digital imaging, I was able to envision what my nose would look like, and was very happy with the proposed correction. Dr. Toriumi was to narrow the width of my nose and slightly refine the tip. He also suggested that I consider a chin implant to compensate for my weak chin and to balance the work done to my nose. 

I postponed rhinoplasty for several years because my husband and I were just starting a family. A few years after my initial consultation, I was reading Chicago Magazine and Dr. Toriumi was featured on the cover, in an article entitled “Top Doctors”. He was listed as one of the leading rhinoplasty physicians, and certainly Chicago’s top rhinoplasty surgeon. My husband and I decided that now was the time to undergo surgery. My breathing problems had worsened over the years and I still was unhappy with the width of my nose. I underwent rhinoplasty, septoplasty and a chin implant in February, 2009. The first time I looked in the mirror, I panicked. My face was discolored and swollen, and it was difficult to move my lips. However, one week after surgery, my cast was removed and I was pleasantly surprised. My nose was a bit swollen but noticeably more defined at the bridge, which was my goal. Within, 2 weeks the swelling in my nose had gradually begun to decrease and the bruising in both the chin and nose area had faded considerably. 

For the past six months, I have been visiting Dr. Toriumi’s office for follow-up examinations on a regular basis. The bridge of my nose looks terrific and the very slight swelling at the tip continues to subside. Today, my chin looks feminine, and makes my nose look proportionate to my other features. My nose no longer looks flattened at the bridge, and the tip looks terrific, and will continue to improve over time! I can breathe clearly and I’ve never felt better. When I look in the mirror I am very happy with what I see. 

For those that claim Dr. Toriumi gives his patients wide, large noses, I can tell you this is absolutely untrue. The bridge of my nose is significantly more defined than it was prior to surgery. I had done a great deal of research before electing to have Dr. Toriumi correct my nose, and I learned that many doctors overcorrect patients noses in order to immediately achieve the look that the patient seeks. However, many of these individuals end up having surgery again because their nose no longer functions properly. My goal was to correct a both the functional problems that I have suffered with while also correcting the way my nose looked. Both of those goals have been achieved with flying colors. 

Many people have unrealistic expectations following rhinoplasty. They believe that they will be completely transformed even though the desired transformation is not medically possible. You will find a lot of those people posting their complaints on the internet. For those that wish to modify and improve upon what they were born with, then Dr. Toriumi will deliver those improvements without compromising your ability to breathe. 

After this experience, I believe that there is no one more capable than Dr. Toriumi when it comes to giving patients a nose that is both attractive and functional. I am able to breathe clearly for the first time in recent memory, and my nose looks great and will continue to improve over time! If patients are interested in a natural looking nose, and they have a realistic expectation of what can be achieved given the nose that they started with, then Dr. Toriumi is the right doctor for them. He is absolutely the best rhinoplasty surgeon in the marketplace, and he is worth every penny.
~ L.D.


No comments:

Post a Comment