Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Surgeon’s Review of Dr. Dean Toriumi’s Surgical Techniques

Personal experience visiting Dr. Toriumi   
- Jochen Wurm, M.D.    


During the last 3 years for two weeks at a time I had the great opportunity and privilege to visit Dr. Toriumi in his operating room and observe his surgery. From the very beginning he created a very warm and welcoming atmosphere for me as a guest from Germany. Also his fellows and his staff supported me with great efforts to get familiar with the environment and the routine work flow.My primary intention to visit Dr. Toriumi was to learn more details about his renowned surgical techniques I had watched so many times during various rhinoplasty meetings around the world. What Dr. Toriumi then offered me at his office exceeded all my expectations by far. Prior to the actual surgery he already shared his thoughts on how to prepare the patient and explained his surgical plan in detail. During surgery he paid very close attention to me being able to follow every single step of his work. Dr. Toriumi took additional time to make drawings for my better understanding. I also experienced his extensive efforts to illustrate all surgical techniques in a way that was easily understandable for me in order to overcome any possible language barrier. I was welcome to ask questions at any time and Dr. Toriumi was always willing to answer them in detail. I never had the impression he kept any secrets from me, he rather gave me the opportunity to get profound insight into his broad fund of tips and tricks in rhinoplasty.

I never had the chance to observe a surgeon who performed rhinoplasties with such patience and accuracy as Dr. Toriumi. He took care of any palpable or hardly even visible irregularity and asymmetry that most surgeons would not even recognize. He never finishes surgery until he achieved the best possible result for the patient – whatever it may take, even in the most difficult cases. As a colleague in facial plastic surgery I can only highly appreciate Dr. Toriumi´s outstanding and long-lasting results in rhinoplasty and facial plastic surgery in general.

Both professionally and personally being with Dr. Toriumi was a unique learning experience for me. His inspiring way of teaching enabled me to apply his advanced surgical techniques and attitude on my own patients with great success.

I am very grateful to have met Dr. Toriumi in person. I sincerely would like to thank him for giving me the opportunity to observe his surgery, last but not least also for his kindness and patience.

Therefore I am looking very much forward to meeting Dr. Toriumi again in the near future


Erlangen, Germany
July 24, 2013
Jochen Wurm, M.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment